Well, we made it through a very traumatic week and the "dreaded phone call" all parents fear. Our 20-yr. old Janlyn was in a bad motorcycle crash last week and was hospitalized in the Univ. of Iowa Hospital/burn & trauma unit. She was at a party with some co-workers & some guy wanted her just to take a quick ride around the block. Janlyn had never been on a motorcycle before. That was her first & last time too! Well, a few miles later he lost control rounding a curve at a very high speed (don't get me started on this one). A witness/kind person called 911 and they were both taken to the hospital. He had less severe injuries than Janlyn. As with all motorcycle accidents, the rider on the back suffers the most. We are VERY, VERY, VERY THANKFUL that Janlyn only suffered lots & lots of road rash, especially on her face; but no broken bones, no brain trauma, no internal injuries, no paralysis, etc. We have her home now and are treating her face with what is known as debriding. It is the removal of dead or infected skin tissue to promote the healing of the healthy tissue. Debriding is the best way to prevent scarring; weird but true. She is really healing nicely so far so we are keeping our fingers crossed for the best! The pictures we have from last week all the way through today are remarkable. I am choosing not to post them though. What we saw when we got to the hospital was unbelievable. I stepped about one foot into the room and had to turn around and walk out. I put my head in my hands and just sobbed & sobbed. It was the scariest and most terrifying moment of my life. But thankfully, she will be okay and we're on the road to a full recovery. We're also thankful I'm out of school now and so is she, so we have lots of time at home with no pressure of work and classes.
I have to pause and tell you what truly wonderful friends Janlyn has that were with her after the accident. They stayed with her in the ER, even while she was getting stitched up. They were actually called first, before Bob & I. One of her closest friends is the one who called us from the hospital. Janlyn had told the ER staff not to call us because she knew we'd freak. But at the same time, she did not know the extent of her injuries. She thought she'd merely get her stitches and then go back to her apt. and then she could call us the next day. Yea right. So, thank you, thank you, thank you dear friends, and especially to Maria, who was strong enough & calm enough to call us early that morning! Maria did everything right and literally guided us to the hospital with updates on the cell phones. She eased our minds by letting us know Janlyn was okay so that we didn't panic on the almost 3-hour drive to get to her.
You should see all the beautiful flower bouquets, balloons and even a get well cake that friends have sent to Janlyn! Wow, wow, wow! The love & support of friends is a wonderful thing! Thank you to all of you sweet friends!
Yesterday, Father's Day, was truly celebrated with thankful hearts! Bob said his gift was our Janlyn being alive and at home! That's for sure! Our older daughters & their families came to visit. Their love & support through this past week has given us comfort and strength. They have totally been there for all of us. There really is nothing else that compares with family love! Thank you Jennifer & Sara! We love you!
I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks to my family in Texas, all of Bob's family and many of our closest friends from all over. You have all been a great comfort & support to us as well. Many, many phone calls, flowers, emails and get-well wishes have been extended to us and the love that you have surrounded us with has been amazing! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
I'm way behind with my class at jessicasprague.com but I know I can pick up where I left off and I will eventually work through all the lessons. I love that her classes are available to us forever!
I hope you have a good day! Please keep our Janlyn in your thoughts & prayers!
(((HUGS))) & love to all!
Jana
9 comments:
Love and Hugs back to you and your very lucky Janlyn!
Rosi
Ok I'm crying. You know how happy I am that this is turning out OK. You know you really are very good at this blogging and you were so adamant about it. Much better than me. You know that you are always in my heart. Love you and give my best to Janlyn and Bob and tell her to stay off motorcycles.
Oh Jana...so sorry to hear about Janlyn, but I'm glad that she'll be okay. How scary for all of you! I'll keep her (and you) in my thoughts & prayers.
This is awful, Jana. So glad she's OK and praying for an uneventful recovery.
Oh Jana,
My heart just stopped for you and your family. I am soooo sorry to hear about your daughter's injuries and like you am so grateful nothing worse happened. Thank God.
Take care of yourself and I pray your daughter has a quick recovery.
Catherine
So sorry to hear this hon, it is always traumatic getting that kind of a call. My Mum died in a car accident so I know what you must have gone through. Hugs and prayers your way.
Hi Jana...I am in your design class and I just wanted to say that you have been so inspiring and kind in the forums and I appreciate that so much :) Also I am so sorry to hear about this scary event in your life. You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers...I can't imagin how frightening that must have been for your family...
Take care and yes, you will totally catch up in the class and do a totally fabulous job!
Just checking back to see how Janlyn is doing and to make sure you are holding up ok.
all will be well....yes it will!! Hugs from Boston!!
Post a Comment