Thursday, September 5, 2013

Doodles, doodles & more doodles!

DOODLES must be the "in" thing these days! First, there was Doodle Camp this summer, a class by Dawn DeVries Sokol. It was only a 5-day online workshop but I've been doodling ever since. I started with a homemade blank journal. I cut watercolor paper & chipboard and assembled it with my Zutter Bind-It-All. Our first day assignment was to make a journal and then doodle free style on the cover. Here's what mine looks like.


Dawn gave us some started tips, which I really appreciated, and then we doodled those on a page.


Because I never really was a doodler or an artist, this was going to be somewhat of a challenge for me. But I instantly loved using some fun pens and paints and was all set to try this. We had daily prompts and each day, I did try lots of new ideas. Of course, new excuses to shop for supplies didn't hurt either! LOL! Here are a few of my first pages.




As time progressed over the summer, I became interested in doodling zentangle style. Zentangles for the most part are just repeated patterns. Many of them are drawn with black Micron pens and many are also colored in using mixed media. In Doodle Camp, we learned to section off our pages and to work on bits at a time. That really helped me design better pages and not to feel  overwhelmed in getting a page done. Remember, doodling is supposed to be fun! So, here's some of my zentangle pages.







So, there you have it......art journal doodles!

Now, I said that doodles are "in" and everywhere, right? My two designers that I work with have both put out new products that, yes, are doodles. Yes, doodles! Here are 3 new layouts using their new doodled products.

These fun doodle stickers are by Nancie Rowe Janitz!

Doodle Frames Rub-Ons by Liv.edesigns!

Doodle Frame Stickers by Liv.edesigns!





Our daughter and grandkids spent a weekend with us in August and they were all about doodling too! I made each of them and their friends, that came with them, a small 6 x 6 journal the same way I made mine. We pulled out every pen, paint and washi tape that I have. I felt like I was back in the classroom, haha. They had a blast and the girls doodled all day long.







I'd say if you haven't doodled lately, you need to start! It really is a lot of fun both on the computer or in a journal. Hope you found some inspiration here today. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day!



3 comments:

Camille Robinson said...

I'm loving your doodles. They are really coming along nicely! I can't wait to see more. Your blog looks great.

Barbara said...

Your blog looks great Jana! That doodling class sounds awesome. I'm not a doodler, but it made me wish I'd taken the class!!

Monica Lifferth said...

Not an artist my eye!!! Your doodles are amazing!!! I'd love info next time you take a doodling class. :)